According to Goads Fire Insurance Plans from 1903 (above), this building was located at the South-Western corner of the intersection of Spadina Ave. and College St. In these plans, the building is coloured red, which indicates that it was, indeed, a brick building. The photo (above) shows what the intersection looked like during the late 1920’s.
Today that building bears the same address and is home to The 460 Bistro Bar. The woman who runs the business is named Mona and she moved from Southern China under a decade ago. Her bar has become somewhat of a legend among Toronto’s underground art and music scene.
The 460’s website can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-460/103511123019232
Mona recalls that the previous business owner of 460 Spadina was a Vietnamese man named John. The City of Toronto Directories for 2001 do in fact list “John’s Restaurant” at that address.
Mona also recalls that before John, two Chinese women named Nancy and Michelle ran a restaurant and bar that served breakfast, lunch and dinner – apparently it was quite popular among University of Toronto students. The City of Toronto Directories for 1980 and 1990 simply list “Coffee Shop.”
City of Toronto. Tax Assessment Rolls. St. Patrick’s Ward (1888). Microfilm. Pg. 81.
City of Toronto. Directories (1887). Microfilm. Pg. 213-214.
City of Toronto. Directories (1888). Microfilm. Pg. 248.
City of Toronto. Directories (1955). Microfilm.
City of Toronto. Directories (1980). Microfilm. Pg. 783.
City of Toronto. Directories (1990). Microfilm. Pg. 445.
City of Toronto. Directories (2001). Microfilm.